Sunday, December 28, 2008

We Are not Fat!!!!

Though I am friendly with everyone, I have been able to get really well with two girls of my class. Coincidentally, all the three of us are overtly concerned over our body images.

As for me, my buddies look absolutely fine. One looks pleasantly plump and the other has no visible fat anywhere. Nevertheless they aren't okay with their bodies. And when I start my fuss they are always there to console me that I am not fat.

Lunches are the worst time for us. We drool over the food that goes into other girls' mouth who don't seem to gain even a single pound from all of those oil dripping, high calorie munchies. Although we usually have the most healthiest food, cutting off as much deep fried and high calorie dishes, we curse ourselves for each guilty pleasure we take in every once in a while.
Our never ending desire to look a little better, feel a little good about ourselves is the motivational factor for our daily exercise regime. While most of the girls inside the dormitory nuzzle in their warm beds, we sweat out on the playgrounds.

We lay our hands on every reading material and health shows related to loosing body weight. My longing to be informed about how to drop those extra pounds is similar to that of a child's longing for chocolates and toys. There is nothing more inspirational then to learn about an obese dropping off oodles of pounds. All the exposure to weight related materials has indeed enlightened us and we have been doing a lot of soul searching since then.

Besides, we have also come to know about the most startling eating disorders which we had never thought existed. Anorexia and bulimia are common. But we came to know about orthorexia – an eating disorder characterized by an obsession with eating what the sufferer considers to be healthy food and which can lead to early death.

It was more than shocking for me because my obsession with weight brought me face to face with the fact that I was in the initial stages of the disorders. However, all of us have now realized that it's the constant bombardment of skinny imagery of women all over the media that has driven us into such frenzy.

We never want to be stick thin ever. Because with the kind of body structure we have and the never dying love for food we render, the skinny dream is practically impossible to attain.
No longer do we refer to the word 'obsession' while discussing our bodies. We prefer saying 'healthy interest in our body'.

And yes the important lesson learnt; acceptance is the key. We just have one body to live in. One ought to value it and understand that being fit, healthy and happy is what really counts irrespective of the kinds of shapes and sizes we fit in.

No comments: